Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Selma


I first heard Ava DuVernay's name after her film Middle of Nowhere won the Best Director award at Sundance. I believe I finally saw the film on cable and could see from the film why her name had been circulating. I was in a Howard University student film and the director was so excited that Ava DuVernay came to speak at the school. He spoke so highly of her, I was sorry I didn't attend that lecture.
It was refreshing to hear about a woman and an African American woman being talked about in such glowing terms. It has been an all too rare an occurrence. Then she was going to be doing Selma. I wondered what to expect hearing a woman's voice tell the tale of her people--with a $20 million budget, no less.  The film industry is such a male dominated industry and I could only wish the best for her and hope that she had good people behind her so her vision would make it to the screen. And what better backing than Oprah as producer and as an actress!

                                                       Antoinette with David Oyelowo

In viewing Selma, you see the pride the actors had in telling and reliving the story of the people, their struggles, their conviction, their victory.  How powerful! It gave the history and hope for the next generation.
David Oyelowo's portrayal of Dr. King was on point with look and attitude. Even without the speeches (King's Estate didn't give permission to use his words) you felt his presence, his strength and his righteousness to overcome adversity.
Selma was nominated and won a slew of awards. I know there was controversy about the film not being nominated for the Academy Awards. It won an Oscar for  Best Achievement in Music written for Motion Picture.  I guess it matters but it didn't matter to me. Selma won for me with its story, acting, and knowing that this woman who was entrusted with telling this story fulfilled her dream in so many ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment